Who is a Candidate for Bariatric Surgery?
We need to pay attention to a number of criteria in patients who will undergo bariatric surgery.
One of the most important criteria is the body mass index (BMI). BMI is a value calculated by dividing body weight(kg) to the square of height in meters.
Obesity is classified in 3 subgroups; 30-35, 35-40 and over 40.
Bariatric surgery must be performed if BMI is between 35-40 in obesity-related conditions. These are:
- Type-2 diabetes,
- High total cholesterol, high triglyceride and low HDL cholesterol levels ,
- Sleep apnea syndrome,
- Fatty liver disease (NASH),
- Gastroesophageal reflux disease,
- Venous stasis disease, deep venous insufficiency,
- Urinary incontinence,
- Joint deformities and joint disorders according to heavy weight.